Date of Birth
24 Oct 1974
Place of Birth
Samirpur, District Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
Bachelors from Doaba College, Jalandhar, Punjab
22, Akbar Road, New Delhi–110001
1. MoS Finance and Corporate Affairs, GOI
2. 4th term Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha)
3. Chief Whip in 16th Lok Sabha
4. Lieutenant in the Territorial Army
5. Fmr. Chairman, Parliamentary Standing Committee on IT (IT, Telecom, Information & Broadcasting, Postal)
6. Fmr. Member, Public Accounts Committee
7. Fmr. India Representative to WTO Parliamentary Steering Committee
8. Recipient of Sansad Ratan Award for outstanding performance in Parliament
Mr Anurag Singh Thakur is a Minister of State Finance and Corporate Affairs. He is a four time elected Member of the Indian Parliament (Lok Sabha/Lower House) from Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh. Within Parliament he has served as Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on IT and Member of Public Accounts Committee. During the 16th Lok Sabha, he was appointed as the Chief Whip, Lok Sabha, becoming the youngest to assume the post.
In the year 2016, he was commissioned as a regular officer in the Territorial Army as a Lieutenant of the 124 Sikh Regiment, thereby becoming the first serving BJP Member of Parliament to join as a regular officer.
He is the former National President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM-Youth Wing of the Bharatiya Janata Party) and has been the only National President to be appointed for three consecutive terms in the BJP. He is also the first BJYM National President to have worked under three different BJP Presidents - Mr Amit Shah, Mr Rajnath Singh and Mr Nitin Gadkari.
Under Mr Anurag Singh Thakur’s leadership, the BJYM led various socioeconomic and political initiatives, such as Rashtriya Ekta Yatra: Kolkata to Kashmir, Shaheed Shradhanjali Yatra – A journey from Guwahati to Tawang to pay homage to 1962 war bravehearts, Sansad Ghirav a national agitation against corruption, National Youth Convention, Digital Literacy campaign, etc.
Mr Thakur is an avid sports lover and has contributed immensely to sports in the capacity of a sports administrator. He has served as the President at the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), President Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA) and continues to serve as President Himachal Pradesh Olympic Association, President Hockey Himachal, President Himachal Pradesh Table Tennis Association and Associate Vice President Hockey India. He is credited for building the world famous Dharamshala Cricket Stadium which is considered as one of the most beautiful stadium in the world.
He has been appointed by Global Fund as the Global Champion in the category of Public Health for creating awareness about Malaria, TB & HIV AIDS. He is a recipient of the Best Young Parliamentarian Award in 2011 and recognized as a “Young Global Leader” by the World Economic Forum. In a nationwide survey in the run-up to the 2014 General elections he was rated amongst India’s Top 10 MPs based on his Parliamentary performance and commitments to society at large.
He also served as the President of the EU-India Parliamentary Friendship Group, President of the FICCI Indo-US Parliamentarians Forum and India- Germany Parliamentarians Forum. He is the founder of 'Honour Our Women' (HOW) Foundation. He is an acclaimed public speaker at various forums on public health, Information Technology, National Security, Governance, Sports Administration and issues concerning young people.
Recently, he was awarded the Sansad Ratan Award in category of Jury Committee Special for his outstanding performance as a Parliamentarian, becoming the only Member of Parliament from BJP & North India to be coveted with this honor.
Parliament & organization
1. 4 time elected Member of Parliament (LS) from Hamirpur (HP, India)
2. 3 time Former National President, BJYM
3. Fmr. Chairman, Parliamentary Standing Committee on Information Technology (IT, Telecom, Information & Broadcasting, Postal)
4. Fmr. Member, Parliamentary Accounts Committee
5. Fmr. Member, Consultative Committee on Power
6. Fmr. Member, Steering Committee of the Parliamentary Forum of WTO
1. Former President, Board of Control for Cricket in India
2. Former President, Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association
3. Former Vice-President, Indian Olympic Association
4. Former Associate Vice President, Hockey India
5. President, Himachal Pradesh Olympic Association
6. President, Hockey Himachal
7. President, Himachal Pradesh Table Tennis Association
Health & Environment
1. Member TB Forum of India
2. Global Champion in the category of Public Health for creating awareness about Malaria, TB & HIV AIDS by Global Fund
3. Fmr. Member Parliamentarians Forum on HIVAIDS
4. Former Associate Vice President, Hockey India
5. Fmr. Member of GLOBE INDIA on Environment & Climate Change
1. President EU-India Parliamentary Friendship Group
2. President, FICCI Indo-US Parliamentarians Forum
3. President, India-Germany Parliamentarians Forum
1. Founder of Honour Our Women (HOW) Foundation
1. Regular commissioned officer in the Territorial Army as a Lieutenant of the 124 Sikh Regiment
Innovative campaigns, beyond MPLADS (at a glance)
Asptal- Sansad Mobile Swasthya (SMS) Seva
In order to strengthen healthcare service in Hamirpur Parliamentary and to ensure service and accessibility in the remotest corner, right at the doorstep of residents, Mobile Medical Units were launched in Hamirpur Parliamentary constituency.
The service has been operational since May 2018 and offers a host of 40 medical tests such as KFT, Creatinine, Uric Acid, BUN, Sugar, Glucose, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, etc. In addition to this medicines too are provided to the patients, free of cost.
The primary healthcare service that was started with three (3) vans has now been increased to seventeen (17) vans covering all 17-assembly constituencies. Within a span of one year, over 1,20,000 OPDs have been undertaken across 800 panchayats.
Testing and medicines amounting over 6 crore have been given free of cost till date under this initiative.
Each Mobile Medical Unit is equipped with an experienced team of doctors, nurses, lab technicians and drivers. There is a project manager and coordinator too on board to ensure smooth functioning of operations.
Sansad Star Khel Mahakumbh
An initiative working towards identifying sports talent at grassroot level while providing them with a platform to showcase their talent and nurture them for future.
The campaign started in June 2018, witnessed participation from over 1400 teams, 25,000 youth across Basketball, Volleyball, Football, Kabaddi & Cricket, encapsulating athletes hailing from 800 panchayats and over 5000 villages and intends to reach a total of one lakh youth. Not only has this promoted the culture of sports among kids but is always keeping them away from falling prey to drugs.
Sansad Bharat Darshan
As a part of this campaign, meritorious students hailing from Hamirpur Parliamentary Constituency were taken to different cities such as Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad & Bangalore for an experiential tour. 80 students from class 10th & 12th visited places such as ISRO, NDA, Western Naval Command, session with Chetan Bhagat, Suniel Shetty, Mohammad Azharuddin, invited as special guests at The Kapil Sharma Show, etc. to ensure that a holistic exposure & learning, covering various aspects is provided to them.
In an interesting turn of events, select students will travel to Canada & Australia too.